Friday, November 4, 2011

A little less ‘think’ and a LOT more action...

Hello again! It has been a while since my last post, ok over a year, eek!! However in my defense I got engaged with in days of starting my last project. Needless to say the project, a baby blanket of my own design took a back seat to planning our wedding.

We planned the wedding in just under 7 months and now 2 ½ months after the wedding I am still trying to finish this project, that’s 9 ½ months later for anyone who might be counting. Working without a pattern leaves many decisions to be made along the way. Based on the picture in my head of what this project should end up looking like I think I am about 2/3 of the way done.
So now I just need to buckle down and commit to finishing this project. Where has the time gone? I most certainly could have finished it in the time it has taken me to worry about it. I picture it finished and I have a plan so where is the time? How do people juggle multiple knitting projects and actually complete them? Just like any hobby or passion or undertaking I need to find a way to commit enough time to get this done. So if I enjoy knitting so much why does finishing this feel like such a chore?

I bought some great “comfy sport” cotton blend yard from KnitPicks back in January in preparation for the arrival of a friend’s baby boy. I chose colors that matched the bedding she registered for and decided to come up with my own pattern idea. I’ve made a few baby blankets before, some with patterns some without, but none as ambitious as this one using 5 different colors of yarn.

This is a patchwork style blanket and I’ve made it in strips that will be sewn together eventually (two of three shown below). The one thing I am still uncertain of is exactly how to sew them together while hiding the yarn used to do so? Should I not bother trying to hide the seems and just commit to using a completely contrasting color? Maybe the key to time management, or at least in the case of this project, is to stop thinking so much and just start doing. I’ll focus on finishing the primary pieces of the blanket and the border then worry about how to assemble them when that is actually a task at hand.


A little less ‘think’ and a LOT more action should get this done. I'll worry less about finishing and commit at least 30 minutes a day to work on this project I hope to complete it this year. It is less pathetic when the project starts and finishes in the same year, maybe in 2012 I’ll get a handle on my knitting project time management.

No comments:

Post a Comment